Battling back to the mound

Arthur overcomes injury to finish sports career


The last time Reece Arthur played a baseball game was more than nine months ago. A devastating knee injury and the surgery would keep the

Twin Lakes senior off the basketball and tennis courts, and the pitcher’s mound – that was until the ultimate comeback.

“I always had a feeling that I’d be back playing baseball, but the odds were never in my favor,” Arthur said. “Initially, playing sports again wasn’t even in question.”

On July 15, 2021, Arthur was doing something he had done many times before, playing first base for the Indiana Mustangs in a travel game at the University of Indianapolis. But that day, every player’s worst nightmare became a reality for Arthur.

Diving for a foul ball, he collided with a teammate who was playing catcher.

“As soon as I looked down, I knew my knee was dislocated,” Arthur said. “I ended up laying there for about half an hour waiting for EMTs to arrive. All I remember is being in complete shock.”

He was rushed off the field on a stretcher with a noticeable injury to his left leg. While at the hospital, doctors “popped” his knee back into place, initially only noticing a partial ligament tear. It was not until three days later, that CAT scans and x-rays revealed tears to the medial collateral ligament (MCL), one of four ligaments that keep the knee joint stable; the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL); the tissue that connects the thighbone to the shinbone at the knee; and Arthur’s meniscus.

Doctors told Arthur he would be sidelined for the rest of his high school career. The idea of playing sports again was not on the table for Arthur, a seasoned and accomplished athlete.

After months of physical therapy, a missed tennis season, and lots of determination, Arthur did what doctors said was nearly unthinkable – he returned to the Twin Lakes’ pitcher’s mound Monday in a game against Frontier, after just nine months of recovery, three months sooner than doctors projected.

“About five minutes before I went on the field, I almost started tearing up a little bit,” Arthur said. “Everyone’s encouragement and love just meant so much to me.”

A small crowd of little league players, coached by Arthur during his recovery, watched as he helped lead the Indians to a 13-0 victory over Frontier.

“It was a complete surprise,” he said. “My little cousin, that is on the team, planned it all together. It was just special to see them all there.”

Despite the circumstances, Arthur’s determination, and optimism never wavered.

“Reece never told us he wouldn’t get to play baseball again. He was always optimistic,” said Twin Lakes’ first baseman Luke Deno. “His doctor told him he would only have a chance if he crushed all of his therapy. The earliest they told him he would be able to play was nine months, and that’s exactly what he did.”

Arthur is grateful to be back in action.

“Getting a pat on the back from Coach meant a lot to me,” he said. “Knowing that I did it is just a great feeling to have.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *